Advice To Youth About Writing
What should I write about, Mr. Twain?
- Write about things you know about.
- If someone comes to me and says, "I want you to write me a story," I'll write a story for him; but if he tells me what to write, I'll say, " Go hire a typewriter."
How can I write a good story?
- A tale shall accomplish something and arrive somewhere.
- The episodes of a tale shall be necessary parts of the tale and shall help develop it.
- The characters in the tale shall be clearly defined.
- Use good grammar.
- Use the right word, not its second cousin
- Employ a simple and straightforward style.
What is your favorite kind of story to write?
- There are several kinds of stories, but only one difficult kind -- the humorous story. The humorous story is strictly a work of art. The art of telling a humorous story was created in America and has stayed here.
- Humor is mankind's greatest blessing. Against the assault of haughter, nothing can stand.
Bring Mark Twain To Your School!
For more information:
Mark Twain Entertainment
W1075 Potter Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105